FES can help with both arm and hand rehabilitation and is suitable for:
- Head Injury
- Multiple sclerosis
- Incomplete spinal cord injury
- Other neurological conditions
Benefits of FES Hand and Arm Rehabilitation
Electrical stimulation may achieve the following benefits when used as part of an individual therapy program:
- Improving function: Weakened muscles may be strengthened and re-educated by using FES at home to achieve your desired functional goal.
- Reducing spasticity: Sometimes increased tone/spasticity can prevent functional use of the arm/hand. FES can be used to help reduce the tone and promote better functional use of the arm/hand. It can also be use to help open a ‘clenched fist’ or to help to prevent a ‘bent arm’ whilst walking.
- Reducing pain: Proven to alleviate pain arising from subluxation of the shoulder joint. It can also help to reduce tone in a muscle and prevent any build up of pain in the area from the tightened muscle.
- Preventing muscle wasting: Proven to increase muscle bulk.
- Initial assessment may take up to 1.5 hours
- Opportunity to trial the stimulator to experience the benefits.
- Discussion of the stimulator which would best suit your needs
- We will provide full teaching and support to enable you to confidently use the stimulator at home to achieve maximum benefit.
- An individualised, goal orientated programme of rehabilitation may be provided.
- Follow up support monitoring both the stimulation and exercise programme ensures you progress towards your treatment goals.
- Hands-on therapy may be provided when necessary.
- We are always happy to work with your therapist, carer or partner to help with your rehabilitation programme.
- The number of reviews will vary depending on your specific program and your needs (e.g. some people choose weekly or monthly reviews for a pre-determined period depending on progress achieved).
“My arm is much more relaxed since using my FES even when I am walking which helps my balance” – R. Fawcett, Wigan.